The enterprise resource planning software market is worth tens of billions of dollars – and it is only set to continue to rise as more and more companies invest in such solutions that help give them that extra competitive edge against their competition.
While many people who have never used ERP solutions themselves may find it hard to understand the impact that such tools offer for their business, there is little doubt that they are part and parcel of the modern business environment.
Why should companies invest in an ERP solution?
That said, there are more ERP solutions out in the market today than you can shake a stick at. All of which competing to give you the benefits of using an ERP system, some of which are the following:
- More savings. ERP solutions consolidate many of the systems – and therefore processes – that may be scattered across your business. An ERP solution will allow your employees to access all the tools they’ll ever need, in one integrated system. That means more efficiency for your employees, and helping you save on implementing software that can otherwise be unified.
- Better collaboration. ERP systems in general improve collaboration due to centralizing all your data, processes, and technologies into one platform. That also saves time on inefficiencies brought on by using various data sources in different databases.
- Improved analytics. Most ERP solutions offer customizable dashboards so management can get an accurate snapshot of as many data points, trends, and KPIs – literally any report that helps them make better decisions right away. You don’t need to keep bugging your IT team to generate reports for you ever again.
- Boosted productivity. Tedious tasks are part and parcel of every organization and are oftentimes unavoidable. ERP systems can automate these tasks and eliminate manual processes to help your staff focus on their more important tasks.
- Manage risk and compliance easily. As business becomes increasingly more globalized, it may be hard to keep track of every country-specific regulation you need to do business overseas. ERP systems provide tools to identify, manage, and mitigate risk and compliance.
- Better inventory monitoring. Expanding inventory levels is a challenge for many developing companies, ERP solutions are capable of using barcoding, RFID, and serial numbers to keep track of your entire inventory regardless of where your warehouses are located.
- Improved resource management and planning. ERP solutions can manage manufacturing operations to make their production schedules efficient, and maximize capacity with the equipment and labor that they have on hand. The same is true for your Bill of Materials and fixed assets.
Without a doubt, the advantages of ERP solutions outweigh their initial cost by a country mile – and even more so when you have the right solution.
Odoo is a solution that we have recommended earlier for reasons we’ve provided in this article,
We’re here to talk about one of Odoo’s offerings, which is Odoo Studio. Let’s go on a deep dive on Odoo Studio, its features, benefits, and whether it is worth adding to your ERP toolkit.
What is Odoo Studio?
Odoo has now introduced Odoo Studio, which is a module where you can quickly create any custom Odoo Applications in a short amount of time.
Odoo Studio provides its users with all the necessary tools to create tailormade applications in literal minutes. Thanks to its user-friendly and codeless interface, creating apps is as easy as 1-2-3.
Odoo Studio’s intuitive modules allow you to add and customize as many fields and options in existing dev views.
You can add report engines, email gateways, business intelligence, and so much more to your existing apps – without having to have advanced or even beginner dev skills.
According to Odoo’s CEO Fabien Pinckaers, it’s a tool for developers to create prototypes of their apps, or quickly put together a skeletal outline of a new module.
That said, let’s see what Odoo Studio can do as far as its features are concerned.
What can you do with Odoo Studio?
We think that the most important value proposition that Odoo Studio offers is its toolkit that helps you create fully customized and adapted Odoo modules without having to have complex developer skills or Python knowledge.
That’s not to mention the ease of which Odoo Studio allows experienced developers to create application prototypes.
There are as many models, actions, views, and menus you can develop as you possibly can think of.
Odoo Studio also allows you to automate your actions using Python – which allows your developers a platform from whence to optimize your manual processes through Odoo. It also comes in with a robust XML editor that allows multiple custom views.
Seamless integration with Odoo
Odoo’s ERP solution is known for its focus on integrating all data throughout the whole system into one interface.
Odoo Studio works the same way in principle, such that the applications you create with Odoo Studio are already automatically integrated with any existing database you can pull data from.
Tailormade for any industry
With Odoo’s existing suite of 30 standard apps, it already covers a vast range of business needs or processes.
Granted, some companies have more complex requirements due to procedural differences.
Odoo Studio’s infinite customizability allows such companies the flexibility to address literally every one of their unique business needs – apart from the 85% of business needs the standard apps Odoo comes with already cover.
An interesting example is Odoo Studio’s support for the Real Estate industry, which makes it easy for brokers to view, manage, and track sales of their real estate portfolio. And the list is quickly growing as more developers create industry-specific modules.
Let’s put it all together with the top 5 reasons why your business should consider using Odoo Studio.
Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Consider Using Odoo Studio
- Create data models without using complex code. Odoo Studio allows you to create data models with an easy-to-use web interface without the need for extra code. It removes the need for developers to manually type code, instead allowing them to put together a data model quickly.
- Develop lists, forms, and views without XML. With Odoo Studio’s Web Designing Tool, you can create customized views and modify existing views without having to deal with XML code. While Odoo Studio’s editors may seem limited, it will be sufficient to create a prototype quickly without XML.
- Create custom views with its built-in XML editor. When a user develops a custom application in Odoo the XML is loaded into Odoo’s database. This built-in feature allows you to easily customize views in with the same flexibility you would have a standard Odoo application. You can use Odoo Studio to build applications as you see fit, and have the flexibility to do the same in XML.
- Create custom automated actions. Odoo Studio also allows you to implement Python to automate your manual processes.
- Export custom applications to other Odoo installations. It’s easy to export custom applications by just putting them in a zip file. From there, you’ll be able to import it on other instances of Odoo in your network.
What are the pros of using Odoo Studio?
We’ve collated the pros and cons of using Odoo Studio based on their experience with the platform. Let’s start with the pros below.
- Intuitive, user-friendly interface. It’s easy to create new applications from scratch. With an interface that’s highly intuitive and user-friendly, it becomes easier to use and get fluent in the more you use it.
- Feature-rich with a wide range of applications. Odoo is packed with plenty of features that help businesses streamline their processes. From inventory management to KYC processing, the possibilities are endless.
- Endless customization options. Odoo Studio makes it easy to create bespoke applications that fit even the most unique requirements.
What are the cons of using Odoo Studio?
No system is absolutely perfect – and that includes Odoo Studio. Here are some of the most common drawbacks that are generally said about Odoo Studio.
- Pricing. Odoo Studio’s 24 USD pricing makes it harder for smaller businesses to justify deploying more applications on Odoo. However, compared to other solutions, it’s not a lot. Smaller plans might be something Odoo can think of providing to smaller clients.
- Intermittent latency issues. There have been some reports that Odoo takes some time to process commands. For some faster-paced environments, like call centers, this may slow down response for a while.
- Requires more in-depth, comprehensive editing tools. While Odoo Studio is robust enough to support even the most unique requirements, advanced users think it can contain more comprehensive editing tools.
Conclusion: Is Odoo Studio Worth It?
For a product that does as much as it can, it is our opinion that Odoo Studio is worth its pricing plan, particularly for medium-sized businesses that want to streamline and optimize their processes.
Developing companies might certainly want to consider Odoo as their primary enterprise resource planning solution that’s cost-effective yet robust enough to handle even the more complex requirements.
Odoo Studio is just icing on the cake – the ability to develop your own applications is just very extremely useful for companies who want to make the most out of their technology and information assets.